The Food Guide Pyramid and its successor, called MyPlate, are tools designed to teach you about the importance of eating the right foods. These guides were created by the U.S. government to help make sure that everyone is eating the best foods with the proper amount of nutrition to keep them healthy. You can use these guides to help you decide what foods are healthy and how much you should eat each and every day. Thanks to the food pyramid and MyPlate, it’s much easier to know what foods people should be eating so they can live a healthier life.
What the Food Pyramid Shows
The original food pyramid consists of six colored stripes, each one representing a major type of food. The main types of food most people eat are vegetables, fruits, grains, proteins, dairy, and fats. When you look at the guide, the largest amount of food you should eat consists of healthy grains. Foods like wheat bread contain lots of fiber that can help you have a healthy heart. The next level consists of fruits and vegetables. These foods are packed with vitamins and minerals to keep you healthy and strong. The next section is dairy foods like milk and cheese. Dairy products contain calcium, which helps you build strong teeth and bones. Protein is also in the pyramid, but it is the smallest portion aside from oils and fats. Protein gives you strong muscles and consists of food like chicken, beef, and fish. Oils like butter and cooking oil are also represented, but they should only be eaten in small amounts.
- The Food Pyramid for Kids: This website features a simple, easy-to-understand example of the food pyramid geared toward kids.
- Food Guide Pyramid for Young Children: You and your parents will find plenty of good resources about the food pyramid on this website.
- Create Your Plate!: This interactive tool shows you how to create your own plate using the food pyramid and MyPlate as a guide.
- Our Food Pyramid: Read about what makes certain foods very healthy on this website.
- Science: Food Pyramid: Click here for a fun, interactive course all about healthy eating and the food pyramid.
- Play With Food: A Healthy Diet Card Game: This website shows you how to make your own cards and play a fun game all about healthy eating choices.
Why Healthy Eating Is Important
Eating candy and other desserts is always enjoyable, but too much of it can cause you to feel sick and even get cavities. Your dentist can even tell when you’ve been eating too much sugar and other junk food. Healthy eating is very important to ensure that your body is getting the nutrients it needs to stay strong and fight off illness. You can use the food pyramid and MyPlate to help you figure out how much healthy food you should eat every day. Your mom or dad can also work with you to cook some delicious meals that not only taste great but also have all of the essentials you need to stay active and well. Come up with some creative ways you and your family can cook the many different foods from the food pyramid to make some new dishes. Fruit makes a great alternative to sugary desserts, and you can also mix it with your cereal to be sure you’re also getting the healthy grains from the pyramid. The more quantities of healthy food you eat, the easier it will be to find some things you will enjoy eating that are also good for you.
- Healthy Food Choices: You can find lots of helpful healthy eating choices for preschoolers and young children here along with a list of recommended activities.
- Food Smarts: The Food Pyramid: There is a lot of helpful information about healthy food and what kinds of food are good for you at this website.
- USDA Food Guidelines: This website geared toward kids is full of interesting videos and much more about proper diet and eating.
- Healthy Eating Plate and Pyramid: You’ll find several examples of which foods you should be eating following the food pyramid at this website.
- Build a Healthy Base: This helpful website teaches you how to use the food pyramid to guide your food choices.
- Food Pyramid History: You can learn all about the history of the food pyramid and how it came to be by clicking here.
How to Use the Food Pyramid
To make eating healthy easy, you can print a copy of the food pyramid and put it on your refrigerator. Fun games and activities can also help you remember the order of the foods and how much of each type you should be eating. Look at the pictures of different foods to see which categories go into which level of the pyramid, and then try to eat them in the required amounts as many days as you can. Write down a few examples of lunches you can ask your parents to pack so that you can be sure you’re eating the best foods each and every day at school. With a little practice, you can make the food pyramid a fun thing that will give you healthy eating habits to last a lifetime.
- Food Guide Pyramid for Kids (PDF): Use this page to create your own food pyramid by filling in the blanks.
- MyPlate Kids’ Place: You can find information, games, and fun activities about choosing a balanced diet by clicking on this link.
- Food Pyramid and Portion Sizes: This helpful lesson plan teaches kids about choosing healthy foods and portion sizes.
- Explore the Food Guide Pyramid: Print this handy food pyramid out and hang it on your refrigerator to help remind you about making healthy food choices.
- Food Pyramid Challenge Quiz: Take this fun 15-question quiz to test your knowledge about the food pyramid.
- Talking Plate Game: Play this fun game to discover how to properly portion the foods you eat.
- Dentist in Bloomington: This website will help you learn more about dentists and dental services.
- Bloomington Orthodontists: Discover more about what orthodontists offer by clicking on this link.
- Periodontist in Bloomington: Learn more about periodontists by following this link.